Great Lakes Medical Imaging is a Gold Seal for Ultrasound facility accredited by the American College of Radiology, which means that it adheres to the highest national professional standards for the practice of ultrasonic imaging and radiation oncology.
What is an Ultrasound?
Ultrasound imaging, also known as sonography, uses high-frequency sound waves to obtain real-time images of muscles, tendons, and internal organs. With the help of a gel applied directly to your skin, images are produced from the reflection of sound waves. No contrast agent is required for ultrasonic imaging. This procedure is safe and painless for patients and provides physicians accurate images of a variety of internal areas. Great Lakes Medical Imaging performs the following ultrasounds:
- Arterial Dopplers
- Breast Biopsy
- Carotid Doppler
- Follicle Studies
- Obstetric (pregnancy)
- Renal Dopplers
- Soft Tissue
- Thyroid biopsy/Fine Needle Aspiration
- Venous Doppler
- Venous Insufficiency Studies
What Will I Experience During an Ultrasound?
- The technologist will apply gel directly on your skin, in the area of your body needing images.
- The technologist will move a hand-held wand slowly over your body.
Please bring any relevant films (cds) and /or reports from previous exams
- Pelvic Ultrasound and Pregnancy Ultrasound (1st trimester only, < 13 weeks)
- Transvaginal Scan (no preparation) – performed in most cases
- Full Bladder Scan (finish 32 oz. of water – 1 hour prior to exam) *The Full Bladder Scan will be performed for the following reasons:
- when specifically ordered by physician
- when requested by patient due to intolerance of vaginal probe
- patients under age 18
- unsuccessful transvaginal scans
- urinary bladder is the area of interest
- Abdominal Ultrasound-(should be performed in morning)
- Nothing to eat or drink for 8 -12 hours
- Please advise scheduler if you are diabetic for earliest appointment
- Renal Ultrasound
- Finish 24 oz water 1 hour prior to exam-do not void
- Venous, Carotid, Arterial Dopplers -Thyroids-Testicular-Breast-Aorta-Musculoskeletal
- No prep
- schedule between 8th and 12th day
- no prep
To schedule an ultrasound exam, please contact us.